Chocolate and Cat’s Health
Can cats eat chocolate? When cats each chocolate the sweet treat is not the same as it is when we eat chocolate. It can be a toxic snack for your cat. Chocolate poisoning, must be treated immediately by calling emergency. Treatment includes inducing vomiting, using charcoal for toxin absorption and use of anti-seizure medication.
Chocolate poisoning can be extremely serious for cats. In most cases the cat will become very ill and in some cases, the cat may die. Chocolate contains a component called theobromine, which affects a cat’s central nervous system. This component is similar to caffeine and although humans don’t notice it, it can be fatal to your cat.
Different types of chocolates contain different amounts of theobromine. For example, milk chocolate contains 45 mg of theobromine per ounce, semi sweet chocolate contains 150 to 250 mg per ounce, and cocoa beans contain 450 to 1000 mg per ounce.
Symptoms of chocolate poisoning in your cat can appear after a few moments or up to a full day later. They include diarrhea and vomiting, which are signals of a digestive issue. These symptoms may go away in a few hours if your cat has ingested a small amount of chocolate, but when the amount is elevated, severe and toxic symptoms will be evident.
With increased levels of theobromine the cat will be irritable, and his heart rate will be significantly increased, tremors and seizures will appear, however you should not wait for these symptoms to develop. Your immediate action is essential to treat this problem. If the toxic levels get too high, your cat will die.
Swift action is a must to avoid your cats health threat. Inducing vomiting, must be done quickly, preferably within the first two hours following ingestion. Past that time, this simple treatments will have no effect.
Once the toxicity becomes severe your cat will need to be hospitalized and observed by a qualified veterinarian. They will give your cat, supportive treatments depending on the severity of intoxication and will have to wait until the theobromine has been eliminated from the cats system.
As a cat owner, you should take all steps to protect your cat from ingesting any chocolate. This includes storing your chocolate in an area not accessible to your cat. Also, be aware of what you cat eats, and the symptoms of chocolate toxicity.
Your cats health is important and needs to be maintained in order to provide your cat with a long life.