12 Must Know Facts Before Buying a Ferret
The very nature of ferrets indicates their playful and curious side. Surely, they make great pets but owning one does not end in buying them. Buying a ferret also includes considering certain factors and below is a rundown of 12 must know facts.
1. Are you responsible enough? Do you have the time? These questions must be answered thoroughly before buying a ferret. Remember that these pets require special attention from their owners. If you cannot provide for their basic needs or show them your best qualities as a ferret owner, maybe it is best to sit this one out and consider another type of pet.
2. Legality is another important factor to consider. For all you realize, buying a ferret is considered illegal in your place. The best way to check this is through your local wildlife or Fish and Game Department. In this way, you are certain if you can actually own a ferret for domestic purposes.
3. Finances. Be reminded that buying a ferret and owning one can be very pricey. You have to be able to calculate every possible provision such as medication, vaccination, food, supplies and accessories.
4. Environment. Make sure that your surroundings are suitable for ferrets. This is particularly important if you happen to own other pets. Remember that ferrets do not think highly of fishes and birds. It is also likely that they will hunt or consider these other pets as possible preys.
5. Behavior is crucial if you want to own a ferret. If you are concerned with having an aggressive ferret, it is best to understand that these animals are trainable and can be taught manners. In fact, you can teach ferrets not to bite, litter or poop in the carpet.
6. There is an ideal age if you are into buying a ferret. The best solution is to get a kit aged 8 to 16 weeks old. Sometimes, others prefer older ferrets. However, if you want to create that special bond between you and your pet, then getting a younger ferret is most applicable.
7. Gender is also important. Decide whether you want a male or female ferret. A choice has its own pros and cons. Just make sure to do your research.
8. Studying the breed of any pet is also advisable. Deciding on the type of color even age and sex is deemed appropriate in buying a ferret. One obvious reason for this is its relative effects on health and overall condition.
9. Scent. Ferrets have a natural smell that comes across as stinky or offensive. This fact is part of the pet’s physiology and the only way to remedy any odor problems is by implementing sanitation and proper hygiene.
10. Litter training is also a matter of importance before buying a ferret. Be prepared to teach your pets discipline. Learn the very essentials of litter literacy. In this way, you can readily instill manners and good behavior in your pet.
11. Provisions like food and medicines are a must in ferret owning. Know the right types of foods to give to your pet. Do not miss veterinary appointments. Keep up with required medications and vaccines if needed.
12. Lastly, learn a thing or two about ferret proofing your home or place. Keep in mind that ferrets are active pets. They can get inside cabinets and sofa beds. Think of plants, drawers and holes as possible sources of dangers and ferret-related accidents.